Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion 10 Licks In The Key Of G Beginner Banjo

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson 10 Licks In The Key Of G Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Participant

Hey Mike,
      I absolutely love this lesson for multiple reasons. First, as you say in the instruction, these licks are incredibly useful to insert into almost any song. Second, I try to play all 10 licks as a warm-up prior to practicing other lessons; it really loosens up the fingers, and, for me at least, a very good way to work on your precision and timing. Finally, the backup/vamping tracks are extremely useful to use with other lessons. For example, I use them to constantly practice Cripple Creek and The Ballad of Jesse James.
      I do have one request/suggestion. Your vamping tracks are 50, 80, and 100bpm. Is there any way that you can include a track at 70bpm? Sometimes I find 80 too fast and 50 or 60 on the slow side. Just a thought.
      Regards,
      Gerry

Allan Winn
      Participant

I bought this lesson but I cheaped out and only purchased the tracks and tabs and not the video, Now I’m sorry I did that cuz I’d like to watch the video but I don’t see a way to add just the video to my purchase.

Mike
        Keymaster

Allan,

Sorry I don’t currently have a way to upgrade from tab-only to video but I sent you an e-mail!

Best,
        Mike

Travis Pierce
      Participant

Mike, this is the best $8 I’ve ever spent!!! Not only did this greatly add to my backup lick library, it opened my eyes to how versatile these licks are. I didn’t realize the tag endings, especially, could be plugged in anywhere (not just the end of the phrase) and work so well! I am having just a little trouble with one lick–the very first one, measure 1. I knew that one already, but the way I was playing it sounded way different than what it is supposed to. I had this quick slur going on, whereas your first two eighth notes really sound separate. In fact, I have to be honest, I can’t even hear your 2-5 slide, and it sounds like you have hit the G note on the third string BEFORE you ever reach the 5th fret. Can you give me some advice, insight here, please. Thanks!

Mike
        Keymaster

Glad you enjoyed the lesson.

Sure. I can try and help.

You don’t need to necessarily wait till you get up to the 5th fret to play the open third string. You need your two hands to operate independently which is tricky.

Both the slide and your right hand are playing the (2 and) rhythm. You could work on playing each on it’s own and then try and blend them together.

If you get up to the 5th fret a little faster that’s fine too, just make sure your right hand is keeping a solid rhythm.

It’s a little hard to give you advice without hearing you play it but my guess is you could be sliding up too quickly which is throwing off the rhythm of the lick.

– Mike

Travis Pierce
      Participant

This is perfect! Thanks, Mike! That definitely helps, and I will keep practicing it!

I have one more question that has been dogging me since I started teaching myself the banjo, and then I promise I’ll stop bugging you. It’s kind of related to this lesson, too. When I play backup for “I’ll Fly Away,” I have five measures of G to fill for that last half of the verse and chorus. On the first half, where there are four measures, I just play three of your licks and then on the last measure, I play a run to C or a G7 roll. It’s a perfect formula. However, when there are five measures, I don’t know what to do for measures 4 (especially) and 5 (I have a few handy G to D runs). Could you help me with that? I’m super inquisitive, and this one has been stumping me. Thanks!!!!!!!!

“I’ll Fly Away”: G G G G7 C C G G G G G G G D G G

Travis Pierce
      Participant

And on that first question, after reading your words of wisdom, I now realize I was playing the 2-5 slide both on the “2” in a quick slur and then the open G string as the “and” of the 2. That really helped me!

Travis Pierce
      Participant

Hey, Mike, I have a banjo question, if you don’t mind. I have become enamored with the second half of lick number 3 in this video. My question, though, concerns the first half, the classic “Cripple Creek” double-thumbing lick. Every time I try to use that in my backup (excluding instrumentals), it doesn’t sound quite right. I have read different places and have even heard you hint that licks that center around the B note don’t always work because they clash with the melody or something like that. I’d love to be able to use that lick in simple backup to songs like “Rollin’ in My Sweet Baby’s Arms,” “Will the Circle Be Unbroken,” etc, but again, it doesn’t seem to work. I still consider myself a beginner, but am I on to something here? Thanks!!!!
      Travis

Mike
        Keymaster

You could try sliding to 4 instead of 3 which would make it a little less bluesy sounding.

But otherwise, no, lick #3 (either first half or second part) should work fine in Will The Circle Be Unbroken or Roll In My Sweet Baby’s Arms.

My guess is it’s a timing issue which is causing the lick to not sound correct in the song.

Can you record yourself playing the lick and post it in the other section of the forum and I can take a look?

– Mike

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart