Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Basic Right Hand Workout Beginner Banjo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Basic Right Hand Workout Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Participant

Good grief!! I am a beginning player, approximately 7 months, and I have working on the basic lesson Basic Banjo Rolls along with a couple of songs, take offs and endings and backups my instructor has me working on. Today I found this lesson and have determined that in addition to the 22 rolls identified in the Basic Banjo Rolls lesson, there are an additional 42 rolls that can be used. looks like I have a LOT to look forward to. I love a challenge. LOL
      Happy Pickin’ from Vince.

Mike
        Keymaster

I would suggest focusing on the finger patterns and not what specific strings you’re playing.

It will be a lot less to remember.

So if you’re doing T, I, M, T, I, M, T, M for example (Forward Roll), whatever strings you play think of that as the same roll.

I also recommend keeping the left hand super simple if you’re working on some new right hand rolls.

Good luck and keep picking.

Best,
        Mike

Tim Blackler
      Participant

Hi Mike, I have a question not directly related to the content of these videos but to the positioning of the right hand.

Whilst I would not say I was a beginner on the banjo anymore I am beginning to take it seriously 🙂

Coming from a guitar background I find myself resting my palm on the skin above the strings (almost on the bridge) rather than pinkie and ring finger anchored on the skin below the strings. I have to say I personally find it quite comfortable but would you say that it was a technique no no or a preference thing?

Many Thanks, Tim

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart