Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Deep Elem Blues Intermediate Banjo

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Deep Elem Blues Intermediate Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

dpdevendra
      Participant

During the lesson, Mike, you indicate this song is in the key of d. I think it is in the key of E. Is that correct. Also you indicate to capo the 5th string to B. Is it B or A? Thanks for this lesson. This is one of the songs in our jam. Keep this coming.

Mike
        Keymaster

Yes, Key of E but playing out of D chord shapes.

No, the 5th string is tuned to A in this arrangement. I mentioned that you could tune the 5th string up to B if you wanted but that’s not how I wrote it. Sorry if that was confusing.

Keep picking.

– Mike

dpdevendra
      Participant

Okay – I love this lesson. Anything else Grateful Dead play would be fun to learn. Keep it coming.

Mike
        Keymaster

A lot of their songs are copyrighted unfortunately but let me see what other public domain tunes they did and I’ll add them to my list.

– Mike

Doug Warden
      Participant

MORE DEAD SONGS PLEASE!!!!! This was an excellent lesson with lots of applicability to straight up bluegrass and more! Did I mention MORE DEAD SONGS PLEASE!!!!

Drew Sturtevant
      Participant

Are the tabs of this version available on your site? TY

Mike
        Keymaster

Yes, you can download the tab on the right side of the lesson page under “Lesson Tabs.”

Best,
        Mike

Mike
      A little confused. In the note above (June 22) you say the 5th string is tuned to A. However, at 1:27 of the first part of the lesson, and several times in the lesson, you say the 5th string is in “standard tuning”. As I listen and play, it does sound as if the 5th string is tuned to G, and the 1-4 only are capoed 2 frets. Please clarify.
      Thanks.
      George

Mike
        Keymaster

George,

The fifth string should be tuned to A for this song. Not G, which would clash with the harmony.

If you want, you can try playing it with no capo at all, just standard G tuning gDGBD.

You’ll hear how it’s supposed to sound and then you can add the capo to the 2nd fret and tune the 5th string to A and it should sound the same just up a whole step.

If you’re still having trouble let me know.

– Mike

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart