- March 25, 2019 at 10:16 am #66989
This is the discussion topic for the lesson Man Of Constant Sorrow Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!
- August 11, 2019 at 6:01 pm #88667
I’m trying to go back to Part 1 of the bigger banjo video after going through the 1st and 2nd once, but I only get the black screen. Do we only get one shot at each lesson? It looks like I can go to the backup lesson multiple times.
- August 11, 2019 at 9:33 pm #88711
No, you should be able to watch the videos as much as you’d like.
It seems to work switching back and forth between the videos when I test it. Sorry it’s not working for you.
Can you try clearing your internet browser? Or what are you device/browser are you viewing the site on?
- This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Mike.
- August 11, 2019 at 6:02 pm #88671
Actually that was beginner, not bigger
- August 11, 2019 at 6:02 pm #88675
Sorry…I’m on the West Coast. 2 hours difference..
- November 12, 2019 at 1:25 pm #105454stefgiaParticipant
I don’t know how feasible it is to do it for all your uploads. But Is it possible to also add to Soundslice the backup you use for the song demonstration.
I know you have it in the tracks, but it is easier when you can see when the transition of the chords happens.
If you have started doing that in your newer uploads and I am not aware, appologies for the pointless question.
- November 12, 2019 at 1:27 pm #105460
- April 23, 2020 at 2:46 pm #144917Paul DurfeeParticipant
I’ve pretty much gotten the fingering down and am working on increasing my speed while maintaining accuracy. While I can keep time with the backing track, my output sounds a little… blah. I suspect it’s because I’m not really accenting properly. Is it safe to assume one should generally accent the 1st and 3rd beats of each measure?
I’ll note that I’m playing an open back banjo without picks (I usually play clawhammer style, and was looking to mix it up with some Scruggs style picking). But I suspect in this case the fault lies with the artist and not the tools. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated!
- June 7, 2020 at 7:53 pm #156316HojoParticipant
Mike – I’m with bullpeters on the melody line, I can play the notes, but get lost on the melody. Would it be possible to put the words on the tab?
- June 17, 2020 at 12:59 pm #158263
- June 16, 2020 at 6:50 pm #158167tunngavikParticipant
ditto – having trouble drawing out the melody – I see your comments on it above but at the same time relatively speaking does this tune have much melody? Some tunes you can’t get out of your head, this one I can’t get in.
- June 17, 2020 at 12:58 pm #158258
This song is tricky because the words are very stretched out.
Here’s an image with the first verse above so you can see how the melody and lyrics fit together.
- August 28, 2020 at 2:25 pm #171881Linda ReederParticipant
Unfortunately I don’t see any lyrics. Am using my Android phone. Thanks!
- August 31, 2020 at 3:33 pm #172358Ricardo CorrieParticipant
Hi Mike, on the 6th measure of solo #1, how come you are doing a full C chord?
I don’t see the 2nd fret 3rd string being used anywhere near that measure.
If you free up the 3rd finger, you can use it to reach the 3rd fret on the 2nd string, which seems much easier than using the pinky.
I’m sure there’s a good reason why you are teaching it this way, I’m just trying to understand the reasoning behind it.
Thanks for the great lesson
- August 31, 2020 at 3:37 pm #172364Ricardo CorrieParticipant
Look closely. The words are in tiny print right below the corresponding measure. They’re a bit hard to spot because, like Mike said, the words are very spaced out.
- August 31, 2020 at 4:27 pm #172377Linda ReederParticipant
Wow I see that now. They are really spaced out. Or maybe I’m really spaced out LOL. Thanks for pointing that out.
- November 13, 2020 at 8:48 pm #184511Caden WalkerParticipant
Hey Mike, I am new to the banjo and playing music it’s self. Should I just play a combination of the solos if there is no singing? If there is singing should I play backup in combination of solos. I have the two beginner solos down along with others in different songs.
Thank You. -Caden
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.