Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion 10 Licks In The Key Of G (Using Slides) Beginner Banjo

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson 10 Licks In The Key Of G (Using Slides) Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Participant

Mike, regarding lick #10. You have the right hand doing I_TMTIMT. Is there any reason not to start with the thumb and play T_IMTIMT? I seem to try to do that automatically.

Mike
        Keymaster

That’s the classic Foggy Mountain Roll so that’s why I did it that way.

The way you’re playing it would also work just fine too.

Mike

Norman Parker
      Participant

Hi Mike – In video part one at 06:05, you mention doing Lick 1 with a D chord. I have tried slowing this down but cannot figure out the right-hand roll pattern. Where can I find this on your site? It seems that the fifth string is used a lot in rolls, but this is not advised for D chords, right? Do you have some D chord rolls to share?

John Nelson
      Participant

Mike, in lick #4, you tell us not use our thumb when we start the pinch in measure 8 as we just used our thumb. Why is lick #5 do we use our thumb for two notes then to start off with? Shouldn’t we start with out index or would the thumb/index just get in the way there?

Mike
        Keymaster

Good question. That has to do with the timing of both of those licks.

Lick #4 uses four 8th notes at the end of it which is why we don’t want to use the same finger twice.

Lick #5 however uses two quarter notes at the beginning of it so we actually want to use our same finger twice because this is going to help us not rush through the lick.

You could also play Lick #5 the way you’re describing but it’s important to play that pause between the first two notes.

That’s why using the same finger twice to help slow yourself down can be a good tip.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Mike

Johnnyjenga
      Participant

This was a great lesson Mike. Finally an explanation of how licks fit into the overall pattern.

Mike
        Keymaster

Thanks! Glad it was helpful. Keep pickin’.

– Mike

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart