Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion 10 Ways To Play Backup Beginner Banjo

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson 10 Ways To Play Backup Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Robert Bartsch
      Participant

Mike,
      Great B/O lesson, wish I could learn them as fast as you put them out! Bob

Finn
      Participant

Great lesson Mike. Jamming season is here and this will fit in perfectly.
      I do have a question. Are you able to play this lesson as fast as you do because you have it memorized or do you read tab that fast? And if it’s from memory what do you recommend to us newbies to improve one memorization skills? Thanks again.

Mike
        Keymaster

For this lesson I did a combination of memorization and reading the tab in real-time. For some of the up-the-neck backup I memorized the tab.

But for the other parts I just read the tab as I played it.

I did write the arrangement though so it might be easier for me to read it as I play!

You’re certainly welcome to memorize any parts of the tab you need to.

Otherwise, as the speed increases, you may have to look further ahead in the tab to read it in real-time. This takes practice too.

– Mike

Robert Bartsch
      Participant

Mike,
      I’m working thru this bo lesson, but no way can I keep up with the practice track even at 50 until I memorize the different patterns. So, I’m wondering if you could make a track that loops with each separate roll throughout the excercise so it can be repeated as need be. Especially later this is great practice jumping around the frets. Fabulous lesson-Thanks, Bob

Mike
        Keymaster

I’d check out the Soundslice player I have or software called the Amazing Slow Downer if you want to loop certain sections of the practice track.

I’m not sure what you mean about creating loops of each of the exercises. I recorded the tracks playing through the exercises as written so it’d be difficult to create a loop with the recording without additional software like Soundslice or the Slow Downer.

I’d focus on 8 measures at a time when you’re practicing it and I’m sure you’ll get it up to speed with some more practice.

– Mike

Dan Holbrook
      Participant

Hello. Thank you for this lesson. I’ve been working on the first part mostly and getting better on the forward reverse roll. The forward roll is improving but I really haven’t done much with any of the others. Should I continue focusing on these rolls mostly until I get them down or move on to the rest of the lesson? Again, thank you so much. Dan

Eric Schweitzer
      Participant

Hi Mike,
      Thank you! This is great. You mention you put some common songs below that this chord progression goes to (besides the ones you mention in the video: wagon wheel, let it be, etc.). I cant find this list. Can you guide me to it or post it if you havent yet? Thank you!
      Have a great evening,
      Eric Schweitzer

Avatar of teodora-skrobonjagmail-comTeodora Skrobonja
      Participant

Thank you so much for this lesson, Mike! My up-the-neck work has improved a lot, and it really works if you create exercises with moving chords in a context of songs and chord progressions – I used this exercises in Wagon wheel for example. <3

Mike
        Keymaster

Nice! I’m glad it was helpful. Yes, these ideas could be applied to any basic chord progression you want.

– Mike

Legare
      Participant

Thank you for the lesson. Is there a list of bluegrass songs specifically to go with this progression? I didn’t see it in the link above, but, could’ve missed it!
      Thanks again. Great lesson!

Mike
        Keymaster

The link above has a lot of songs that aren’t bluegrass.

Wagon Wheel is the most popular bluegrass song that uses this chord progression.

I’m sure there are probably some other ones as well. Let me think about it and I’ll post a reply if I think of any others.

– Mike

Legare
      Participant

Thank you!

Legare
      Participant

Your lessons are great BTW. Especially nice to have right now during the quarantine and not being able to get out.

Adeline Dewar
      Participant

Where do I find the tab for this sequence.

Mike
        Keymaster

If you go back to the Lesson Page for this lesson you’ll see the tabs on the right side of the page under “Lesson Tabs.”

You can click that link to open the tab.

If you have any other questions let me know.

Thanks.

– Mike

Alan Burns
      Participant

Hey Mike! I’m so glad I stumbled upon your lessons on YouTube. Your teaching style is so accessible and this lesson in particular has me hooked!

I was wondering, could you upload the backing track on its own without the banjo? I’d love to play over it as you did without any banjo assistance in the track. Thanks! Keep up the great work.

Viewing 11 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart