Home Forums Banjo Tips/Techniques Anchoring little finger on head

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Paul1951
      Participant

I’m having trouble keeping little finger anchored, suggestions?

Mike
      Keymaster

Are you trying to anchor both your ring finger and pinky or just your pinky?

Some people just anchor their ring finger so if that feels more comfortable that’s also a possibility.

If you’re just planting your pinky you could try adding your ring finger and see if that helps stabilize your hand.

Otherwise it may just be more practice is required. Start slow and if you feel your pinky pop off the head stop and plant it again and start over.

If you have any other questions let me know.

– Mike

bruces2
      Participant

I just use my pinky…I see others using both fingers. I tried but when I anchor the ring finger it seems to interfere with my picking fingers and I don’t a fluid. So should I stay with what works or force it?

Mike
        Keymaster

I just use only my pinky finger as well. It never felt natural to have my ring finger down so I didn’t force it.

The main reason why people say you should put two fingers down is because that’s what Earl Scruggs did. The issue is everyone hands are different and what works for him won’t necessarily work for everyone else.

I’ve seen people play really well with jut their pinky down, just their ring finger down or using both.

I recommend picking one of the three options that feels most comfortable to you.
        – Mike

Luke Sommers
      Participant

I use both ring and pinky…I think more practice no matter which way you go is the key.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart