Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Banjoland Blues (12 Bar Blues) Intermediate Banjo

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Banjoland Blues (12 Bar Blues) Intermediate Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Jon
      Participant

This is a pretty cool exercise in playing an E blues. I’m having fun working it out.

Measure 19 and measure 20 – looks like the left hand fingering should remain 4/2 for the first three eighth notes, but the tab goes 4/2 4/1 4/2.

Mike
        Keymaster

Jon,

Thanks. Good catch. Yes that was a typo. I’ve updated the tab and the download to reflect the correct fingering. Glad you’re enjoying the lesson.

– Mike

bebrooks
      Participant

I’ve enjoyed “Banjo Twist” and “Banjo Special” previously…..they are fun to get together with a friend (guitar) and play together, but this Banjoland Blues has been the best. It first seemed to be the hardest piece to get my fingers around, but in my usual 2-3 days I was able to get the muscle memory in place, and now it seems very playable. Looking forward to getting together with that friend this week-end and playing it. I really enjoy the parts bending the strings !!
      –Bruce

Mike
        Keymaster

Nice! My friend Ryan recorded the guitar rhythm track for this lesson so I played it with a friend as well!

Glad you enjoyed it. I had fun working this lesson up.

– Mike

Jon
      Participant

I don’t have a buddy to play along with, so this past week I’ve started to use Garageband on my iPad to lay down a drum track, stand up base and electric piano using “touch” instruments. With the software instruments as a background, I can jam along on my banjo, starting out slow and increasing speeds as my proficiency builds. Although typical bluegrass doesn’t have a drummer, it really helps to have a steady beat in the background…a nicer metronome. This has opened up a whole new experience for me, and I’m having a lot of fun.

Debora Salling
      Participant

So, I feel a little dense asking the question. At the ending lick measure 27, what measure do I pick up again to repeat? Is it measure 3? Thanks for the help.

Jon
      Participant

@Debra – If I’m going to repeat the 1st and 2nd solos, I would skip measures 27 and 28, and jump from measure 26 to 3. I wouldn’t play 27 and 28 until I’m finishing the piece. Just my two cents.

Debora Salling
      Participant

Thanks so much!

Mike
        Keymaster

Yes Jon is correct! Thanks for jumping in and answering. Keep picking.

– Mike

Hal Gausman
      Participant

Great lesson Mike. I like blending melodic style and the blues banjo sound. What other of your lessons would you recommend?

Mike
        Keymaster

Check out the E minor and A minor workout lessons. Those are a little more melodic but have some cool blues licks as well. Keep picking.

– Mike

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart