- March 25, 2019 at 10:16 am #66897
This is the discussion topic for the lesson Boil Them Cabbage Down Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!
- May 5, 2019 at 8:33 pm #73958LegareParticipant
Hi. I’m confused about the timing on the back tracks. The timing does not match my metronome… unless I’m playing 16th notes. Thanks.
- May 5, 2019 at 8:42 pm #73963
Good question. If you want a click on each beat, you’d have to double the BPM I have listed on the practice tracks.
I normally set my practice tracks and metronome for 2 clicks per measure (beats 1 and 3).
There’s a few reasons I do this:
1. It mimics a bluegrass bass player playing on the 1 and 3.
2. It helps you build your internal sense of timing by having to fill beats 2 and 4.
3. At high tempos, it’s hard to hear that many clicks
But you can definitely double the BPM and play along to your metronome that way as well.
If you have any more questions let me know.
- May 6, 2019 at 6:50 am #74009LegareParticipant
That makes so much more sense! Thank you. When I tried to play it beat for beat at 60 it was way too slow.
Your lessons are fabulous, BTW! I attend a great bluegrass jam every Sunday and Monday in Asheville…GREAT musicians and one day I’m going to be up there with them.
- May 20, 2019 at 9:07 pm #76024davidkerrParticipant
I’m doing Boil Them Cabbage Fown. In the 4th measure you play an A. I noticed it didn’t sound right. I checked my tuning and the third string is tuned to G but when I play the 2nd fret 3rd string, which should be an A, I notice the tuner says it is going towards an A#. It doesn’t matter where I put my finger in the fret space. Any thoughts?
- November 20, 2019 at 9:55 pm #107391
- November 20, 2019 at 11:28 am #107264Kayaker60Participant
I couldn’t find the tabs for the backup. I like to print them out?
- November 20, 2019 at 9:52 pm #107387
Sorry, I don’t have tabs for the backup section of this lesson. But you can watch the backup lesson video to see a lot of the ideas I used.
If you have any more questions after watching the backup video lesson let me know.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.