Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, And Slides Practice

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Hammer-Ons, Pull-Offs, And Slides Practice. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Melanie Yare
      Participant

As a 70 year old beginner of the banjo I am really enjoying these lessons. I can manage the slides and hammer-on BUT the Pull-Offs I am finding really difficult. Maybe I am not holding the first note down hard enough (I am female and perhaps don’t have the necessary strength ). Any tips? Apart from that I am loving the banjo!

Mike
        Keymaster

Melanie,

If you want to email me a quick video of you playing I can take a look at your technique.

It could be that you’re not holding down the second note with enough pressure.

A lot of times though, I’ve found students actually aren’t giving the first note in the hammer-on/pull-off enough value.

You need to hear the first note clearly so you have somewhere to either hammer-on or pull-off too.

I’d try giving the first note a little more value and then yes, you need to keep the pressure down on your other finger.

But it shouldn’t take too much strength or pressure.

Feel free to send a video though and I can offer some specific feedback.

– Mike

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart