Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Roll Practice and Beginning To Improvise

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Roll Practice and Beginning To Improvise. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Dmaudm1
      Participant

Would this be a good place to apply the circle of fifths

Mike
        Keymaster

This lesson would be more difficult to transpose through the circle of 5th’s because of all the open strings that are used in the lesson.

This lesson would be better used practicing scales and chord progressions specifically in the key of G.

If you want to practice going through the circle of 5th’s, check out one of the “closed position” lessons I’ve done like Moveable Major Pentatonic Scales or Moveable Melodic Scale Patterns. These lessons focus on using no open strings so they’d be easier to transpose to different keys.

If you have any more questions let me know. Thanks.

-Mike

Dmaudm1
      Participant

Maybe I didn’t phrase the question correctly. I was more referring to typical chord progressions. I know these are chords but would it follow the same. G. C. D. Or. C. F. G. Type of scenario for playing backup. The reason I am asking is I have only been playing about a year and a half and this is the only instrument I have ever played. The local jam I go to is helping me to progress but when they up the tempo I just get lost. This would seem to me to be something I could do at a quicker tempo without fumbling around for chord positions

Mike
        Keymaster

Yes, sorry I didn’t understand correct.

You could definitely use this exercise to play over some chord progressions.

With backup you have a lot of options (which can make it difficult when you’re starting out) but you can either play chords along with the jam or just play notes or licks on top of the chords.

This would be an example of playing notes on top of chords and you’re correct it might be a good option if you’re struggling to get to the chord shapes at faster tempos.

You could also use this idea as a way to connect two chord shapes together with a series of notes. So maybe you’re playing down the neck and you use this exercise as a way to get higher up the neck to a C or D chord for example.

If you play a note that doesn’t sound correct with the chord they’re playing just move your finger up or down one fret and you should quickly find a correct note that works with the chord.

If you have any more questions let me know.

-Mike

Dmaudm1
      Participant

Thanks this should make the jams easier to participate in until my skill levels increase

micky hohl
      Participant

Excellent lesson!

Mike
        Keymaster

Thanks Micky!

This exercise is one I consistently go back to for warming up or for working on new roll patterns.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart