Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Down The Neck Rolling Backup (Key Of G) Beginner Banjo

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Down The Neck Rolling Backup (Key Of G) Beginner Banjo. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

jswanson
      Participant

I would like to be able to practice playing this backup along with a vocal to get the feel of what it is like to play behind a vocalist. Is the chord progression in this lesson based on any particular song? And maybe I can find the song (with vocal) somewhere on the internet so that I could practice along with it. Thanks so much for any help.

Johnnyjenga
      Participant

Hi Mike, This is really a basic question and you probably explain this somewhere else, but what do you do when the song has multiple measures of the same chord. e.g. start with 4 measures of G, followed by 3 measures of C, then 5 measures of G, 3 of D and finish of 2 measures of G.

After you play your 2 initial backup measures, where do you go? Do you repeat them? What happens when you have 3 measures?

How can you judge what speed to play these licks? You have to fit in up to 8 notes in a measure where you only have 2 beats of another instrument for the timing.

Thanks,
      John

Mike
        Keymaster

Good question.

You’ll want to have licks and rolls that are either 1 measure in length or two measures in length to start.

Once you master those you can create longer combinations.

So if you need three measures you could combine a one measure lick/roll with a two measure lick/roll.

Or play three one measure lick/rolls to create three measures.

Same with four measures. You could play the two measure lick/roll twice.

It all depends on what licks/rolls you already know. At first you’ll be repeating a lot of licks/rolls because your vocabulary will be smaller.

I think of the measures as blocks you can build together to create different amounts of musical time.

If you still have questions let me know.

– Mike

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart