Home Forums Banjo Banjo Lesson Discussion Metronome Basics

Tagged: ,

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      Mike
      Keymaster

This is the discussion topic for the lesson Metronome Basics. Please leave your comments or any questions you might have about the lesson here!

Participant

hi Mike,

I am a beginner and really enjoying your lessons!

I am having trouble using the metronome with rolls in 4/4 time. There is no problem with one beat/click of the metronome per stroke of the finger or thumb. I seem to loose my sense of timing when trying to do a roll of 8 in one measure. I have tried various speeds of the metronome but somehow get lost. I have watched your Metronome Basics video but seem to loose something between the video and then me actually doing it. I hope this makes some sense.

Do you have any suggestions on how to get my timing down? Do you have a tab that I can use to help me out?

Thank you!

Obie

Participant

Maybe I should clarify. I can keep time with alternating thumb rolls & pinches no problem. It is the multiple string three fingered rolls where my timing gets out of whack.

Mike
        Keymaster

I’d focus on counting out loud before you try and play a more advanced roll pattern.

The timing and counting of the forward roll will be the same as the alternating thumb roll. It just doesn’t divide evenly into the measure like the alternating thumb roll does.

So if you do T, I, M, T, I, M, T, M (one common forward roll) the count will be 1 and 2 and 3 and 4 and.

What you can do is practice counting along with the metronome. Start by counting 1, 2, 3, 4 each count on a click. Then see if you can add the “ands” by counting 1, and 2, and, etc…. The ands will be counted between the clicks.

If you’re doing this correctly you should be able to switch back and forth counting just 1, 2, 3, 4 and 1, and 2, and, 3 and 4 and without anything changing on the metronome.

Once you can count it confidently out loud. It will be much easier to play.

Let me know if you still have any other questions. – Mike

Participant

Hi Mike,

With your help and suggestions and lots of practice, I finally have it!

Thank you for getting me over this hump.

Blessings,

Obie

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Shopping Cart